Can I install a gas-fired water heater or furnace myself?
While some retailers sell gas-fired appliances direct to the public, the Canadian Gas Code requires that a gas permit be issued for any appliance replacement or installation and that the work be done by a qualified gas fitter. Gas permits are only issued to licensed and bonded gas contractors. The Gas Inspection division of SaskPower obtains records from firms retailing gas appliances and checks to see that a gas permit has been obtained for the purchaser’s service address. The regulations do not allow for homeowners to do their own gas installation work.
More Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I hire a professional plumbing and heating firm?
- What do I do if my gas-fired furnace is not working?
- What can I do if I have a water leak?
- What do I do if I have a sewer back-up?
- I have no hot water, what should I do?